Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Take a Look, It's In a Book

I really love books. Both the act of reading and the physical objects themselves. In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when the Nazis are burning the books and the Nazi lady secretly cries because she also loves books, I feel her pain (and once cried myself — I was 10!)

Anyways, anyone who has seen any of my recent work knows that I am really into designing book covers these days. Last week I came across a really great blog dedicated to (generally) vintage book covers from around the world. http://ajourneyroundmyskull.blogspot.com/ After going through the incredibly vast collection for 10 minutes I actually had to take a break because, as I immediately described to someone, "my brain just exploded with design overload". It's been an intense search, but below are some of the best covers that I completely loved. I feel like these could act as some sort of Rorschach Test, and I really don't think I'm interpreting them accurately. I find them all strangely whimsical and cute.


Every time I look at this I think "Why hello giant grasshopper" in my head. weird.



I think this is the cutest image of death I have ever seen. I know he is bad ass and driving at deadly speeds in his muscle car but I find this image extremely cute. Love the little gun detail in the upper right corner.



This is just a really cool collage, and the typography works just as well and with the image. I guess this also could be seen as a bomb of wild west gay pride.




I didn't even notice the man with the axe (Casually going to chop down some of those trees? Nothing murderous going on here) until the 4th or 5th viewing of this cover. I also love the fox. Makes me think of those fox scarves that bite their own tail that I may or may not secretly want.

No comments:

Post a Comment