Friday, September 3, 2010

London Story 1

Yesterday I walked all along Clapham Common to find an HSBC. It was sunny! And warm! Well warm in the sense that wearing that wool sweater and leather jacket and short shorts was a good balance. Clapham Common is like a massive field with trees dotting it every now and then. A very well kept field I should mention. The lawns were being mowed and the smell of grass hung over the whole area. It was lovely.

I saw some interesting sites on my walk. My two favourite being the Canada geese who kept a suspicious eye on anyone who stopped to look at them. AND the interesting phenomenon I refer to as "City Fishers". I am surprised every time I see someone fishing in a city pond. The fine folks at this particular Clapham pond would be referred to as "white trash" if they lived in North America. Luckily they don't. But they were hunkered down for an afternoon of tanning and fishing, complete with beer cooler, umbrella, fold out chairs and bathing suits. Again, let me note it was 20 degrees and windy. If I had been more adept I would have photos to accompany this little tale, but I said "I'll take photos later" and then walked home on the other side of the street. Oops.

Today's journey: Greenwich, to find the Prime Meridian!

No comments:

Post a Comment